Having plumbing problems can be a major headache for homeowners. From clogged drains to leaky pipes, plumbing issues often need to be addressed quickly and professionally in order to avoid further damage or even more costly repairs down the road. But there are also many simple maintenance tasks that every homeowner should know how to do in order to keep their home’s plumbing system running smoothly.
Here are 10 essential tips from experienced plumbing professionals that will help you maintain your home’s plumbing system and save money on repair costs in the long run.
Optimize Your Home’s Plumbing System With These 10 Tips
1. Inspect plumbing on a regular basis – Having a professional inspect your home’s plumbing system annually is a great way to detect and prevent minor problems before they become bigger issues. During an inspection, a specialist can check for potential leaks, signs of corrosion, and other common issues that may affect the longevity of your system.
2. Know where your main water shutoff valve is located – Knowing how to locate and operate the main water shutoff valve in case of an emergency can help you avoid serious water damage if there’s ever an issue with your plumbing system. It’s also important to make sure this valve works properly so you don’t have any trouble turning it off in the event of an emergency.
3. Clean your drains regularly – Clogged drains are one of the most common plumbing problems and can be easily avoided with regular maintenance. Use a homemade drain cleaner or a commercial cleaning product to keep your drains free from debris that can accumulate over time.
4. Watch out for signs of leaks – Leaks in your home’s plumbing system can cause major damage if left unchecked, so it’s important to monitor your faucets and pipes for any signs of moisture or discoloration. If you notice any unusual wet spots on walls or floors near plumbing fixtures, contact a professional right away to inspect the area and determine the source of the leak.
5. Make sure all plumbing fixtures are in good working condition – From your toilets to your shower faucets, it’s important to regularly inspect all of the plumbing fixtures in your home to make sure they’re in good shape. If any of them appear worn or rusty, you may need to have them replaced by a professional.
6. Insulate exposed pipes – Exposed pipes can be vulnerable to temperature fluctuations that can cause them to freeze and burst during cold weather months, resulting in costly repairs. To prevent this from happening, wrap these exposed pipes with insulation material or thermally insulating tape available at most hardware stores.
7. Practice water conservation habits – Conserving water isn’t just smart for the environment—it can also help you save money on your utility bills. Installing low-flow fixtures, repairing leaky faucets, and running the dishwasher only when it’s full are all great ways to conserve water in your home.
8. Don’t ignore slow-draining sinks – A slow-draining sink is usually an early sign of a clogged drain that should be addressed before it gets any worse. Use a plunger or auger to clear the blockage, or contact a plumbing professional for more serious issues.
9. Get familiar with your garbage disposal – Knowing how to properly operate and maintain your garbage disposal will help reduce the risk of costly repairs down the line. For example, you should never put grease, oil, or non-food items like paper towels in the disposal—this can cause serious damage and create an expensive mess.
10. Don’t attempt major plumbing repairs on your own – If you ever encounter a plumbing emergency or need to perform major repairs, it’s best to contact a professional plumbing company for assistance. Attempting to repair complex problems yourself may lead to further damage or even more costly repairs down the line.
Trust a Professional Plumber for Plumbing Maintenance and Repair
By following these 10 tips from experienced plumbing professionals, you can help maintain your home’s plumbing system and save money on repair costs in the long run. However, if you ever encounter a plumbing disaster that requires professional attention, make sure you contact a reputable plumbing company for reliable service.
Don’t wait for a plumbing disaster to happen – schedule service and a spring inspection today! Contact Weilhammer Plumbing Company at 317-784-1870 for licensed and insured plumbing services in Indianapolis, Indiana, and its surrounding towns. We serve residential and commercial customers with the most affordable plumbing repair and maintenance prices around!