No one wants to deal with clogged drains. They can be a real hassle and often require professional help to fix, which can be expensive. But before you call the plumber, try these homemade drain cleaner solutions first! With just a few natural ingredients from around your house, you may be able to unclog your sink or bathtub in no time. Scroll down to review 8 tips for unclogging drains with DIY solutions.
How to Fix a Clogged Drain Yourself
1. Baking Soda and Vinegar: This homemade drain cleaner is one of the most popular DIY solutions out there. Start by pouring a pot of boiling water down the clogged drain, followed by ½ cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar. Let it sit for 30 minutes before flushing with hot water again. If this doesn’t work, you can try adding more baking soda or vinegar to the mix.
2. Salt and Borax: For those stubborn clogs, mix ¼ cup salt with ¼ cup borax in a bowl, then pour it down your drains. Let it sit overnight before flushing with hot water in the morning to clear away any residue and help break up clogs.
3. Lemon Juice and Baking Soda: This homemade drain cleaner is great for keeping your drains smelling fresh as well as helping to unclog them. Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the clogged drain, followed by a cup of lemon juice. Wait 15 minutes before flushing with hot water again.
4. Plunger: A plunger can be used to help break up clogs in most types of sinks and tubs. Start by running hot water down the drain to soften the clog, then use a plunger in an up-and-down motion over the drain hole until the clog is gone.
5. Auger: Using an auger is a great way to unclog clogged drains. An auger, also known as a drain snake, is a tool that consists of a long flexible cable with a corkscrew-like head at the end. It can be used to clear clogs in pipes and drains without having to use harsh chemicals or resorting to professional help.
6. Wire Hanger: For those particularly stubborn clogs, a wire hanger can be used to break them up. First, straighten the wire hanger out and create a small hook at one end. Then, insert the wire into the drain hole and try to snag any debris that may be causing the clog. Once you’ve removed as much as you can, flush with hot water again.
7. Wet/Dry Vacuum: If all else fails, try using a wet/dry vacuum to suck up any standing water in your sink or tub. This will allow you to reach further down and remove more debris from the clogged drain.
8. Boiling Water: Last but not least, boiling water can help break up some types of clogs. Start by pouring 1 pot of boiling water down the clogged drain, followed by a second pot if necessary. This homemade drain cleaner is easy to use and very effective!
If you’ve tried all of these homemade drain cleaner tips but still can’t unclog your drains, it may be time to call in a professional plumber in Indianapolis. But with these seven DIY solutions, you should be able to clear away most minor clogs without having to spend too much time and effort on the task!
The Advantages of Using Homemade Drain Cleaner
When it comes to drain maintenance, keeping your drains clean and clear has many advantages. And homemade drain cleaner can help you do achieve optimal drain performance. As opposed to store-bought chemicals, homemade drain cleaner is a natural option that helps dissolve clogs and blockages. In addition, homemade solutions are often cheaper than most store-bought options and provide a safer environment that is not harmful to your plumbing system. Not only are homemade drain cleaners more environmentally friendly, but they can also be tailored to your specific needs in order to clean one’s drains effectively and efficiently. Investing in homemade drain cleaner for your home is an excellent way to ensure that your drains stay healthy without having to turn to harsh chemicals or expensive commercial products.
Still can’t seem to get your drains to drain? Contact Weilhammer Plumbing Company at 317-784-1870 for licensed and insured plumbing service in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our state-licensed master plumbers serve residential and commercial clients.